What is the ARB 66 Neon font?
Beginning in January, 1932, Becker, at the request of then-editor E. Thomas Kelly, supplied SIGNS of the Times magazine’s new Art and Design section with an alphabet a month, a project predicted to last only two years. Misjuding the popularity of the “series,” it instead ran for 27 years, ending finally two months before Becker’s death in 1959, for a grand total of 320 alphabets, a nearly perfect, uninterrupted run. In late 1941, almost ten years after the first alphabet was published, 100 of those alphabets were compiled and published in bookform under the title, “100 Alphabets,” by Alf R. Becker.
As published in June, 1937, this is the description that accompanied Becker’s 66th alphabet, Neonline: More…
NEONLINE, alphabet No. 66 in Alf R. Becker’s SIGNS of the Times series, is a very bold, modern style for feature display lettering. Care should be taken in the laying out of this alphabet, and every letter should be made as bold as possible.
Well that was a bit of an understatement! Fortunately, this font pak isn’t understated. After the main Neon font was finished, a ton of work went into developing alternate character ranges, a second neon effect, a layering option accessible via the styles menu, and two supplemental fonts for the headlining and text chores. And did I mention the extensive kerning? The finished result is a handy little family that can tackle of wide variety of design needs.
Many font designers have tackled the task of taking Becker’s incredible achievement from paper to digital, and many claim to treat his work with care and dignity. But the Fontry’s Becker fonts remain the most historically accurate and viable treatments available, arriving in two industry-satisfying versions: CAS (Computer-Aided Signmaking) and DTP (Desktop Publishing).
ARB 66 Neon Font families
The ARB 66 Neon includes the following font families:
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 CAS Bold
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 DTP Bold
- ARB 66 Neon Strunked JUN-37 CAS Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Strunked JUN-37 DTP Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Stance JUN-37 CAS Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Stance JUN-37 DTP Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 CAS Normal Italic
- ARB 66 Neon Blank JUN-37 DTP Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 DTP Normal Italic
- ARB 66 Neon Blank JUN-37 CAS Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Line JUN-37 DTP Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 CAS Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Inline JUN-37 DTP Normal
- ARB 66 Neon Line JUN-37 CAS Normal
ARB 66 Neon Preview
Here is a preview of how ARB 66 Neon will look. For more previews using your own text as an example, click here.
User Review( votes)